Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Easy Homemade Potato Gnocchi - LOL

A friend posted this video recipe on Facebook and it made me laugh. A lot. Let's see if you laugh, too. Watch and then read my reaction below.



"Easy" is my trigger word, especially when it's followed by the name of a recipe. I love the idea of having an arsenal of easy recipes I feel confident cooking. You know, I gotta keep up this charade called adulthood somehow.

My problem is that I associate "easy" with "quick" and that's obviously not true. At least, not in this case.

Especially not in this case.

I was fine for the first 45 seconds and 100 steps (that might be a slight exaggeration, but not by much). The fork-rolling action one minute in had me laughing out loud. As did the "after you finish boiling them, now you need to cook them" section at about 1:20.

OK, so I'll admit that I've never thought about what goes into making gnocchi in the first place. I'm sure this video recipe makes sense to you Smarty Pants Chefs out there, but not Idiot Cooks like me.

If this is the EASY way to make gnocchi, what's the hard way? Does it involve going to Idaho, claiming a plot of land, planting and harvesting potatoes, and then traveling by donkey back home to Boston?

Tasty on Buzzfeed (which normally puts out very sane videos) should change the title to something more accurate, such as "Easy Homemade Potato Gnocchi When Compared to Climbing Mount Everest" or "Easy Homemade Potato Gnocchi When Compared to Walking Away from the Laundry Room with All Matching Socks."

I guess none of the steps are actually HARD. I get everything they're doing. But there are a lot of them. And that thumb-pressing step at 1:05? LOL. Please.

If you want to cook easy potato gnocchi, check out this article from Cooking Light and try one of the store-bought brands it tested and recommends.

Questions:

  • Have you ever made homemade potato gnocchi? Did you make the "easy" or the "hard" kind. Discuss.
  • Potatoes grow in Idaho, right? Where else?
  • If "easy" is used as the first word in a recipe title, there should be an understanding of what that means. Ideally, no more than 5 or 6 steps that your basic Idiot Cook can follow. Agree or disagree? (There's only one correct answer to that question.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. But let's all play (somewhat) nice in the virtual sandbox, shall we?